Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Insights after a month of Bikram Yoga...




A little over a month ago, I thought that I would undergo self-experimentation or two because I tend to find myself in agreement to do something for a period of time [see: Photo365 PhotoPrime157, trying to train and run a marathon during my first years of graduate school]. Nearly a half years ago I bought a Group on for Bikram Yoga in La Jolla with the premise that after I finished my class will have time to pursue other things I was interested in but never had time to try before.




With the days of my Group on ended, I went to a Bikram Yoga studio in La Jolla [closer to my apartment for the current school year] for the first time on Sunday morning at 7:45 am ready to try my hand at the infamously hot yoga the Bikram.



Rewind a bit: I'm hot blooded, do not make a hot-blooded, individual by nature. For the first 22 years of my life I was living in Sugar Land, TX [close enough to the Gulf Coast occupied by mosquitoes more than men, at that time feels like] where people make a point to spend their time either at home, in cars, or in an air-conditioned building because of the heat for three-quarters of the calendar year. Also, I have made many trips to visit family in Taiwan, which is an itty bitty island-even more susceptible to the mosquito from Sugar Land, and there, central air conditioning was unheard of sweating at all hours of the day. Oh yes, I am also in the marching band for four years in high school, and two-a-day in the parking lot under the hot sun will train you how to handle the heat better than many other living creatures. Needless to say, I am no stranger to dealing with heat and humidity.



But, I've lived in Southern California during the last 12 months I am, where I left my Texas roots need a jacket at most of the day. I think its awkward cold here most of the year, so I wondered what I would think the temperature of hot yoga.



Back to my first yoga class: [After reading some Yelp! review before coming to class, I needed to bring 1L bottle of cold water, yoga mat, and towels, not to mention I was wearing gym clothes as little as possible because the only thing worse than sweating sweat a lot and has a loose, wet clothes flapping around the limb You and chest] Walk into a yoga class. I immediately could feel the walls of moisture hit my face, but not unbearable or throttle at all.



For my first class [and about 13 of the 15 classes I ended up attending; side: my goal is to attend at least 15/30 days that I would cover my Group on for] I have good teachers who keep classes focused and told us about how bending, compression, stretching, and tend to our bodies into all sorts of poses. Pose the word has all kinds of health benefits, which many instructor mentioned in class, but I am not one to pay attention to ourselves in particular with my massage and up and down two points; for the most part, I believe that yoga has health benefits fantastic, and I do not find a need to know what each one of them is. Coming from a background of the last run-heavy, I enjoy the change of pace and focus of meditation that yoga demands. Back in my years of pre-teens and teens, I did a bit of gymnastics and acrobatics always appreciate a slight tendency to stay with me for this, so it's definitely nice to get back to something that focuses on stretching and strengthening my core. I also managed to maintain a decent level of flexibility over the years [although I never could do the splits left and now I have no chance in hell to do it], so Bikram gave me the opportunity to recover much, especially since the room temperature is major help unwind the muscles I.



A record of a room of over 100 degrees for 90 minutes at a time: You will sweat like an animal [that is, assuming you have yourself properly hydrated the day before / day]. It need not be ashamed [because there will always be people in the class who sweat more than you, I promise], and I found that the skin and pores actually feel fantastic against the cold wind after class because they have been flushed clean. [Aside: I can not believe how some men sweat. Puddle of water next to their mats after class. Puddles. Eep.] This is why you are supposed to bring a towel for you and your yoga mat to wipe one's face / hands. I also do not think the heat [as much as 99% of people citing their concerns about being in a room so hot] will cause you to feel pain unless you have yourself properly hydrated / get enough sleep.



I studied for months that my body does not like hot yoga in the morning after a night of little sleep, the day when I drink coffee every [because of this dual dehydrated and my body means I drink a little water], or a night have a space where yoga instructor in above 110 degrees. [113 degrees are not required!] Probably my favorite class to go are [as long as this will be heard] that on Sunday morning at 08:00 and Friday nights at 6:30 pm. There is something about the half-filled with the focus really wanted to be there to practice in earnest that unwinds your mind like nothing else.



So, after completing the challenge myself to go to Bikram yoga at least half of the days during the month Group on, I'll [eventually] start running again after a few months off, and I am sure that my little task to Bikram helped loosen my muscles and joints pack on the miles in preparation. Of course, I have a hot [but not Bikram] Group on yoga in my queue for the winter months when the temperature "drop" here in La Jolla.

No comments:

Post a Comment